I generally find souvenirs a bit on the hokey, at times worthless, side. That being said, I do like getting little things to commemorate my adventures and I know it means even more to kiddos when they get to see the world.
Universal has no end to shopping and items one can pick from, if anything they have too many options to choose from. From Potterhead “musts” to Marvel treats, the entire theme park offers something for everyone. I am definitely in camp Potter, while my family loved the variety of Marvel, pride, and comic books offered in the park. However, while our decisions are based on preferences and fandoms, there are a few things that make great momentos and memories, and you should make sure you budget for with your family trip.
Here is my short list:
- A Wand – Harry Potter World offers the fantastic wand ceremony at Olivander’s and if you have young ones in your party, they will most likely hope to be chosen for the ceremony. If they are chosen for the ceremony, the wand that selects them is available for the low price of $55.00 each. While this does seem like a steep price for a fiber glass souvenir, do know that it interacts with the park and “unlocks” surprises throughout the Wizarding World. This means that trip one, or trip twenty is made all the most special. It also means, if your kiddo is chosen, a truly priceless memory is created with the Olivander’s experience AND you likely won’t have to do it again.
- A Lanyard – The park sells lanyards everywhere, and while the price may seem steep, it does make for an easier trip. The lanyards they sell allow for holding ones ticket, making going in and out of the parks much easier. As Universal does not offer a virtual or “Magic Band” equivalent, having something on your neck makes for an easier day with less wallets and worrying about losing your ticket. An added bonus, the lanyard works when you go home for whatever use you may need.
- Jurassic Park Shirt – This may be a personal preference, but I feel like everyone needs a Jurassic Park shirt. If you are a fan of the movie(s) then the shirt feels like a good purchase, however if you are going to ride the Jurassic Park River Adventure, you are likely to get sopping wet at the end, and a shirt just seems like a good rash purchase. My husband agrees this is a smart buy.
- A Hoodie – Living in Colorado we practically live in hoodies for like 80% of the year *short summers and cold summer nights* buying a hoodie on vacation is a common souvenir and they WILL get used.
- Sweets – While they mad get consumed in the park, sweets from different areas of the park bring a lot of fun to vacation. I adore the Harry Potter themed options in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade and my husband and stepdaughter loved Toothsome and their glorious shakes. Oh – and don’t forget the butterbeer.
- Patches – Last, but not least, I buy patches everywhere that I travel to and I sew them onto a jacket. It’s a cheap and small item that I can have as a reminder of my adventures. At Universal they have some great items in the Harry Potter world that are perfect for your own travel jacket.
HAPPY TRAVELS & SHOPPING!